CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First week of Kindergarten!

Our little baby (who's almost 6) started kindergarten on Monday. We met his teacher last week and were really pleased with who he got. Her name is Mrs. Goldman and she's taught K-3rd for 15 years. I cried when I read him a "going to kindergarten" book Sunday night, but Monday morning there were no tears! We all got up early and took him to class. He was the second child in the room and went right to his seat and started coloring. I was so proud! The 3 of us then went to the library where the PTA had put on a "Tears and Cheers" get-together for the kindergarten parents. There were packets of kleenex nicely wrapped up and coffee, juice, muffins, and cookies. The principal came and spoke for awhile and we got to visit with other kinder parents. When I picked up Carter in the afternoon he said, "mom, I want to stay!" His teacher poked her head in the van and said, "Carter was so, so good. He's a model student." Wow--way to make a mama proud! Tuesday I walked him to class again and things went fine. However, the school nurse called me at 11:30 saying Carter had gotten sick in the cafeteria. I felt so bad for him! He spent the afternoon at home resting. He already said he missed his friends. Wednesday he woke up at 7am feeling great and ready for the day. However, I had to keep him home until he was fever-free for 24 hours. Hayden was so excited that brother was staying home to play with him! Thursday and Friday were uneventful except that Carter started telling us more about what they do at school--the routines; how they wash their hands (to the alphabet song); music, P.E., and art class; who he plays with at recess, etc. You know Carter--he doesn't talk much about stuff like that so it's hard to get info. from him. Also on Thursday and Friday we worked with the drop-off routine--Heath will be taking Carter to school on his way to work. It's sure hard for this Mama to watch her "baby" walk into the school by himself and sit with his class. But I know it's part of letting go.




Hayden is adjusting to being home with Mom. He misses brother but also enjoys playing with brother's "forbidden" toys while Carter's at school. He wants to play with brother after school, but this week Carter's been too tired after coming home to play much. I'm sure that will change when we get into this routine more. Today Hayden and I are attending a Kindermusic class to see how he likes it. We are either going to Kindermusic or Little Gym this fall, just me and Hayden.





Mrs. Goldman's room




Parkview Elementary School




brothers




ready for kindergarten!

2 comments:

chrissy said...

How cute! So sad about being sick on the second day- glad he got over it quick!

ILoveLucyLou said...

This post is so sweet and what precious and handsome boys you have. How do our babies grow up so fast on us? I still remember meeting you when my boys were still in High Chairs!